We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
It’s been all over the media that chocolate is good for you and thank goodness because you love it like your best friend; your go to, feel better, reward yourself best friend.
Chocolate can be good for me?
But if it’s so good for you why are you noticing your muffin top is becoming fluffier with every bite? How on earth will you be able to take advantage of all those health benefits you’ve been reading about without feeling like you’ve just sabotaged all your efforts to fit into your favorite skinny jeans? Oh the dilemma! You want to indulge without suffering the consequences, but how? Here’s the awesome news; you can do it, absolutely!
Your goal is to strive for a healthy lifestyle most of the time and to live by the 80/20 rule, meaning choose the healthiest, most nutritionally packed foods you can 80% of the time and for the other 20% choose the best crap available. In other words; quality, quality, quality! If we never allow ourselves to enjoy the things that make us feel special then we will always feel deprived and dissatisfied. It’s a vicious cycle but the more you deprive yourself the less happy you feel and when you feel unhappy you tend to eat crappy. So give yourself that treat now and then without the guilt and choose quality ingredients because you’re worth it.
Choose the healthiest, most nutritionally packed foods you can 80% of the time & for the other 20% choose the best crap available.Click to tweet
We need to learn about the kinds of chocolate that is good for us to reap the benefits
I have a love hate relationship with the media; yes it is wonderful the way we learn about news and information at the speed of light but there is often a lack of clarity; a broad, blanket statement which has us all running out to buy a Dove bar or indulge in our favorite See’s candy because we’ve heard it’s good for us and has tons of the health benefits necessary for our bodies. What is not being told is the type of chocolate, or more specifically that it’s really raw cacao that is healthy.
Raw cacao? Isn’t that like cocoa, aren’t they the same thing, are you thinking I spelled it wrong? The answer is yes and no; all chocolate starts out as raw cacao, but once it’s been heated (typically anything over 100°) it becomes cocoa, loses the majority of health benefits and for some reason the spelling changes. There is most definitely a distinction between cacao and cocoa.
Most chocolate manufacturers use cocoa and add sugars, emulsifiers, thickeners, preservatives, etc. and this is the type of chocolate that will NOT be your best friend, it will be the backstabbing ‘friend’. The higher the cacao content the more often you can indulge, the lower content is best consumed occasionally. Choosing dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate is also important. Dairy decreases the ability of your body to absorb the beneficial nutrients of raw cacao and since you want your indulgences to count in the plus column dark chocolate is your best bet.
But what do you do if you’re a chocolate every day kind of person? What if you feel it’s not just for holidays and birthdays? It is absolutely possible to indulge your desire for rich and luscious chocolate every day. The key is quality AND quantity; knowing how to choose the best chocolate treat and still live a healthy lifestyle will allow you to enjoy small amounts every day.
To reap the anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, cholesterol lowering, stroke and heart disease blocking benefits you must choose wisely. Look out for sugars, unhealthy fats, soy and preservatives because they are the villains in your chocolate bar. Chocolate treats made with organic raw cacao will be your friend and because it’s so rich you will easily be satisfied with less than if you were popping M&M’s.
 Review Article Cocoa Polyphenols and Their Potential Benefits for Human Health I. Andujar, M. C. Recio, R. M. Giner, and J. L. Rios