We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you are a fan of beans, but rarely make them because they take so much time, you’re going to love these Instant Pot Charro Beans. Simple, yet flavorful, these beans are the ultimate symphony of flavors. You’ve got bacon, cilantro, cumin, paprika, and four different flavors of pepper dancing on your tongue with this dish – and if you don’t like spicy food, I totally understand if you back off of the pepper a bit when you make this. But for those of us who love are spice, these Instant Pot Charro Beans are everything!
A great appetizer that pairs well with our charro beans recipe is our Southwestern Grilled Jalapeno Poppers.
Making Charro Beans, or Charro Frijoles, in the Instant Pot is quick and easy
I love making beans in the Autumn and Winter, although there really is no bad time of year to serve them up. But one of my favorite times for whipping up a big batch of these babies is for Cinco de Mayo. After all, in addition to all those Margaritas and ice cold glasses of Cerveza, you’ve got to have some good food on hand to keep the people fed. And these beans are sure to be a big hit!
These Instant Pot Charro Beans are also excellent for office parties, backyard barbecues, or as a simple dinner some night when you’re too tired to cook and want some spicy comfort food. Serve with a side of cornbread and a nice salad and you’ll have a meal so delicious, you’ll feel like you’re getting away with something.
Instant Pot Charro Beans
Our charro beans are perfect to serve year round. But they’re especially good to make for your Cinco de Mayo celebrations and backyard barbecues. They’re delicious!
Never fear, if you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can make this recipe in your slow cooker too!
If you’re making a yummy dinner with your favorite Mexican dishes, you may also like to try some of our favorite fresh and tasty salsa recipes.
Our Instant Pot Charro Beans recipe saves so much time and effort. Rather than soaking overnight, you can make your frijoles in under 3 hours in the pressure cooker.Click to tweet
Ingredients you need to make Instant Pot Charro Beans
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons D’Arbol Chili spice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 jalapeno peppers; diced and de-seeded
- 1 serrano pepper; diced and de-seeded
- 1 lb bag pinto beans; washed
- 4 cups beef broth
- 6 strips of bacon; diced
- 1 white onion; diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro; chopped with stems (optional)
- water to fill
How to make Charro Beans (Frijoles) in the Instant Pot
Dice (and de-seed) your onions, peppers, and bacon.
How To Make Charro Beans in the Slow Cooker:
Print and Save the Recipe
Instant Pot Charro Beans
Ingredients to Make Instant Pot Charro Beans
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tsp D'Arbol Chili Spice
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers Diced and De-Seeded
- 1 Serrano Pepper Diced and De-Seeded
- 1 lb. bag Pinto Beans Washed
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 6 strips Bacon Diced
- 1 White Onion Diced
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Cilantro Chopped with Stems (Optional)
- Water to Fill
Instructions to Make Charro Beans (Frijoles) in Your Instant Pot
- In the instant pot, pour in washed pinto beans. Add in bacon, jalapeno, serrano, and onion. Top with beef broth. Fill water to max line.
- Stir in cilantro. Add in paprika, D'Arbol chili spice, cayenne pepper, salt, and cumin. Give it a good stir.
- Place lid on the instant pot. Put valve in seal position. Set to high pressure for 1 hour 20 minutes. This cook time allows for all the beans to be tender and not soaked the night before. Additionally, it allows the liquid to become thicker from the beans and have good flavor. Once the instant pot stops counting quick release pressure.
- Open pot and give it a good stir. Using a ladle press against some of the beans and stir. This will add to the texture of the beans and broth. Allowing for that nice brothy thick texture to the beans. Serve!
Instructions to Make Charro Beans (Frijoles) in Your Slow Cooker
- Place beans, bacon, jalapeno, serrano pepper, onion, and spices into the crock pot. Add in beef broth and water to the top. Stir in cilantro. Set to high and cook for 8 to 9 hours until beans are soft.
Pro Tip: While many Pressure Cookers have a slow cooker function, if you want to slow cook your charro beans, we recommend doing so in an actual slow cooker rather than the Instant Pot. Instant Pots heat from the bottom which is great for pressure cooking, but for slow cooking, you want the heat to surround the pot to get the best tasting results.
try it and share!
Please let us know how you enjoy our Instant Pot Charro Beans recipe. If you make it yourself, please let us know on Pinterest that you tried it and tag us with #theawesomemuse on your Instagram photo. If you haven’t had a chance to make it yet, be sure to save the recipe on Pinterest so you’ll remember where you found it.