We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I love a good Panini, but this Open Faced Grilled Panini is in a category by itself. Unlike a usual Panini with crunchy, buttery bread wrapped around warm and often cheesy fillings, this Open Faced Grilled Veggie Panini is a bit more like bruschetta. But not. Honestly, it’s just the best of both worlds!
This tasty treat is also great for (cheese-eating) vegetarians, combining the temptation of melted gouda with veggies like eggplant, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers. The flavors and textures are so satisfying that you won’t even miss the meat. But you can certainly add some if you want. Personally, though, I hope that you’ll first give it a try just as it is, though. I think you’ll be impressed.
These Open Faced Grilled Veggie Paninis are an excellent addition to any party or gathering where an outdoor grill is available. Festive and refreshing, it is a tasty treat for anything from the 4th of July to summertime birthdays. I bet it would even make a great appetizer before your favorite Italian feast, too, or served alongside my Pasta e Fagioli!
I hope you’ll give this one a try. If you do, please let me know about it!
Open Faced Grilled Panini Sandwiches
This recipe is perfect to serve for your summer kickoff barbecues, aka, Memorial Day. It’s a healthy dish that’s great to offset some of the less healthy offerings that may be on your menu. It’s also great to have as an option for your vegetarian friends (just be sure to ask if they eat cheese which you can leave off if they don’t).
Our Open Faced Grilled Veggie Panini is a bit of a cross between a traditional panini and bruschetta. It’s perfect to serve as an appetizer with your favorite Italian dish or a yummy salad.Click to tweet
You may enjoy some of our other yummy grilled appetizers like our Southwestern Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers and our Gochujang Glazed Bacon Wrapped Asparagus. You can’t go wrong with serving these when the grill is hot.
Ingredients you need to make Open Faced Grilled Veggie Panini Sandwiches
- Loaf Italian bread
- 1/2 lb Gouda, sliced thick
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 large eggplant
- 1-2 zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- Green onions
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 2-3 heads garlic, whole
How to make Open Faced Grilled Veggie Panini Sandwiches
1. Prepare grill.
2. Coat the whole garlic heads with olive oil, grill over indirect heat.
3. Slice the vegetables into slabs about 1/2” thick.
4. Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper.
5. Grill until char lines form, chop coarsely, then set aside.
6. Slice the bread about 3/4” thick.
7. Cut the tops off the roasted garlic, and squeeze into the butter.
8. Mix well, then spread liberally onto the bread slices.
9. Top with the grilled veggies and finally the Gouda.
10. Grill covered for another minute or so, or until the cheese is melted.
Print and Save the Recipe
Open-Faced Grilled Veggie Panini
Ingredients to Make Open Faced Grilled Panini
- Loaf Italian Bread
- 1/2 lb Gouda Sliced Thick
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 stick Butter Melted
- 1 large Eggplant
- 1-2 Zucchini
- 1 medium Onion
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- Green Onions
- 2 Bell Peppers Any Color
- 2-3 heads Garlic Whole
Instructions to Make Open Faced Grilled Panini Sandwiches
- Prepare grill.
- Coat the whole garlic heads with olive oil, grill over indirect heat.
- Slice the vegetables into slabs about 1/2” thick.
- Toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill until char lines form, chop coarsely, then set aside.
- Slice the bread about 3/4” thick.
- Cut the tops off the roasted garlic, and squeeze into the butter.
- Mix well, then spread liberally onto the bread slices.
- Top with the grilled veggies and finally the Gouda.
- Grill covered for another minute or so, or until the cheese is melted.
try it and share!
Please let us know how you enjoy our Open Faced Grilled Veggie Panini Sandwiches recipe. If you make it yourself, please let us know on Pinterest that you tried it and tag us with #theawesomemuse on your Instagram photo. If you haven’t had a chance to make it yet, be sure to save the recipe on Pinterest so you’ll remember where you found it.